- Birth is a normal, healthy process, not an illness or disease.
- Empowering births can take place in hospitals, birth centers, and homes.
- Maternity care should be evidence-based and woman-centered.
- Women are entitled to complete and accurate information on their full range of options for pregnancy, birth, post-partum and breastfeeding.
- Women have a right to make health care decisions for themselves and their babies. That right includes Informed Consent as well as Informed Refusal.
The mission of BirthNetwork National is to promote the awareness and availability of Mother-Friendly maternity care.
BirthNetwork National is leading a grassroots movement based on the belief that birth can profoundly affect our physical, mental and spiritual well-being. BirthNetwork National advocates Mother-Friendly care, as defined by the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services' Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI). By making informed choices and having confidence in the process, families can experience safe and satisfying childbirth.